On July 15th in Manorville, NY a 13 week old Golden Retriever puppy named Sandy ingested a highly toxic mushroom in her own backyard. Her owner, Rich D’Alcace didn’t think much of it at the time, but Sandy had something dangling from her mouth. It wasn’t until the next day that D’Alcace noticed Sandy acting lethargic and throwing up.
By the time they got to the vet, Sandy was suffering from extreme organ failure. The next 10 days consisted of 5 plasma transfusions, IV fluids, dozens of medicenes and continuous bloodwork. Richard D’Alsace and his partner Taylor Manalili have set up a Facebook page called “Saving Sandy” to help raise money for Sandy’s vet bills. Donations can be sent straight the East End Veterinary Emergency and Specialty Center (Let them know it is for Rich D’alsace with Sandy as the patient : (631)369-4513, pet-er.com) I cant even begin to imagine the heartbreak of the owners, who, from their Facebook page, appear to lead a very active lifestyle and chose the perfect breed to be their companion.
Rich and Taylor also wants to use their Facebook page to raise awareness of these fungus that our growing in our own backyards, along roadsides, and on hiking trails.
The mushroom that Sandy ingested is called “The Death Angel” It is highly poisonous to humans and pets. It is white, with a very smooth cap. It has white gills and a white “skirt” and has a bulb at the base, sometimes covered in soil.
It’s hard to supervise your dog at all times, especially on off leash hikes. If you suspect your dog has ingested a mushroom of any kind, a trip to the vet will be the difference between life and death. The longer you wait, the more damage is done. Period.
I wish Sandy and her owners the very best.